Ingredients (serves 8):
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Celtic sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 large eggs, gently beaten
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) beef liver
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour (or for a nut-free alternative, use 2 tablespoons coconut flour)
- 6 pieces bacon, pastured preferred
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and adjust the rack to the middle position.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the carrot, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft. Move the vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the salt and thyme to the center. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then stir the thyme into the vegetables. Remove the pan from the heat, and let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
- Place the eggs and liver in the bowl of a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Place the ground beef, almond flour, and liver mixture in a large bowl. Add the cooled vegetables and stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×11-inch baking dish and form into a large loaf. Arrange the bacon in a criss-cross pattern on top and use a pastry brush to brush the top with maple syrup.
- Pour 3/4 cup water in the bottom of the pan. (This keeps the meatloaf moist.) Bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown. Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!