Try this veggie curry from Hot For Food for a delicious curry full of nutritious goodness
- 2 cup brown & wild rice mix (or basmati rice)
- 3 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups of chopped veggies of your choice (red pepper, carrot, celery, cabbage, broccoli etc.)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cupsvegetable stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame or peas
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- coconut yogurt
- chives, finely chopped
- In a pot bring rice, water, and vegan butter to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer, cover the pot with a lid and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a large, deep pan heated to medium add 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil and cumin seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric, chili flakes, and garam masala. Toast the spices for 6 minutes until fragrant. Lower the heat so the spices don’t burn and add minced garlic, ginger, and onions and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently until the onions are translucent and soft.
- Add another tablespoon of coconut oil and all your veggies and cook for 8-10 minutes until they just start to get soft, but are still bright in colour. Then add lentils and stir frequently for another 5-6 minutes allowing the lentils to toast up and absorb some moisture. Then bring the heat back up to medium and gradually stir in vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Then add coconut milk, lime juice, sea salt, ground pepper, and any frozen veggies you want to add. Stir well to combine. Cover with a lid and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with a dollop of coconut yogurt and finely chopped chives. Enjoy!