This recipe from Meat Free Monday is the perfect alternative to meat burgers. Serve on buns, or even bun-less, with your favorite sides.
Ingredients (makes 8 burgers):
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 2 tins (3 cups) black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 2 red onions, diced
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5.
- Peal and chop the sweet potato into small cubes, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cook for 25-30 minutes in the oven, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile rinse and drain your beans and place in to a large mixing bowl. With a masher, mash until roughly half the mixture becomes a paste.
- In a frying pan add the onions and cook until caramelised. Add these to the bean mix then add the spices and sweet corn.
- Once the sweet potato is done, mash well before adding to mixing bowl. Mix well. Add the brown rice flour to bind and continue to stir.
- Shape into 8 large patties and place in the fridge to cool.
- To cook: in a frying pan, drizzle olive oil and fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side. Place on a baking tray and cook at 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5 degrees for a further 10-15 minutes until crisp. Alternatively drizzle with olive oil and grill on a BBQ