For this Meatless Monday, try this Mexican Bowl from Tip Hero!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ a large jalapeno, minced (taste before adding all of the jalapeno, depending on how spicy you want the dish to be)
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (I used ¼ tsp kosher salt- taste first before adding more)
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- Sauté the garlic and jalapeno until it starts to brown, about one minute.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, ¼ tsp salt to the skillet and stir to mix well.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cover the pan with the lid.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes, until the quinoa is cooked through, but stir it halfway through cooking just to make sure the quinoa cooks evenly.
- Before serving, sprinkle the chopped cilantro and diced avocado on top and then squeeze ½ of the lime in as well. Taste and add more lime juice, salt and pepper if needed.