Gluten Sugar Dairy Free had a pepper steak recipe that is simple, delicious, and basically cooks itself. Serve this over brown rice (or cauliflower rice for strict Palelo folks), with your favorite vegetables and you have a complete, healthy, Paleo meal.
Ingredients (serve 6-8):
- 2 lb sirloin
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 sliced bell peppers
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp corn starch (or arrow root powder)
- 2 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbs chopped cilantro
- 2 or 3 lime slices
- Slice sirloin into strips, slicing across the grain into one inch strips.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium high heat.
- Once pan is hot set sirloin strips in and let sit 2-4 minutes or until they release from pan easily. You don’t need oil since the natural liquid from the beef will release into the pan.
- Flip and brown other side.
- Remove sirloin from heat on to platter.
- Whisk stock with cornstarch and add to slow cooker. If you don’t have beef stock, chicken or vegetable stock will work just fine. Use stock, never water!
- Add all other ingredients (except cilantro and lime) to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add sirloin to slow cooker and gently mix well. Cover.
- Set on high and cook for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Stir once during the cooking.
- Chop cilantro and cut lime slices and set aside.
- Once the beef has cooked, taste and check to see if you need to add more salt or pepper before serving. Top each serving with a squeeze of lime, and cilantro.