Okay, so maybe tequila isn’t technically Paleo, but Danielle (courtesy of her brother, Joel) from Against All Grain has a great recipe for a Paleo friendly margarita. The key part of this are the honey syrup (better for you than pre-made tequila mix or triple sec), and the tequila. The tequila must be 100% agave. The link to the original recipe lists some 100% agave tequila, as does this link from Serious Eats. Make the syrup ahead of time, and you’re good to go for your next summer cookout.
- 2 ounces blanco tequila (100% agave)
- 1 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce honey syrup* (see below for ingredients and how to make)
- Sea salt (optional)
- Combine all 3 ingredients into a cocktail shaker and add ice
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds
- Pour through a fine mesh strainer into a glass with fresh ice
- Garnish with a lime wheel
*Honey syrup can be made by simply combining equal parts honey and filtered hot water (not boiling!), then stirring to incorporate the two. The author suggests using a lighter honey, such as a raw clover honey, as you don’t want the flavor of the honey to overpower the drink. You can make 8 to 16+ ounces at a time and store in a sealed bottle or container in the fridge for up to a month.
For those that prefer a salted rim, put a thin layer of sea salt flakes on a plate or cutting board. Use a lime wedge to lightly moisten the rim of a glass before flipping it over into the salt.