The next time you have burgers, try the recipe from The Iron You. Even if you use regular buns instead of the tomatoes, these burgers are sure to be a hit. And of course, you can add your own burger toppings.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 lb / 453 gr grass fed organic ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ + ¼ teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ripe avocado, divided
- 2 Tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon mayo (DIY paleo mayo following this recipe)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- A handful alfalfa sprouts
- Cut the tomatoes in half horizontally. With the handle-end of a spoon or a fork, scoop out the seeds and seeds membrane. Set aside.
- Place half of the avocado in a bowl and mash with a fork until almost smooth. Add yogurt, mayo, lime juice and cumin and stir to combine. Dice remaining half of the avocado and add it alongside ¼ teaspoon salt. Stir gently to combine. Set aside.
- In a bowl season ground beef with ½ teaspoon of salt, black pepper and chili powder and mix well.
- Divide into equal 4 portions and gently shape each portion into ½-inch thick patty.
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat. Grill patties 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- In the meantime, lightly grease with olive oil a medium non-stick pan/skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook halved tomatoes face down for 2 to 3 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Flip and cook for 20 seconds on the other side so that they get a bit of color.
- To assemble burgers, place a large pinch of sprouts on the bottom part of each tomato, top with a beef patty, about 2 Tablespoons of avocado sauce and finish with the other half of each tomato.