I haven’t made this amazing dish from The Italian Dish in a long time, but it is so tasty! I’ll admit, when I make it I just use jarred sun dried tomatoes (drained) because I hate to heat up my kitchen.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 10 ounces of grape tomatoes
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 10 ounces spaghetti
- 14 ounces very small tomatoes (about 8 to 10), cut into chunks
- 4 ounces mozzarella, cubed
- about 10 basil leaves, julienned
For the slow roasted tomatoes:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice grape tomatoes in half and place on baking sheet with the garlic and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Bake for about two hours or until the tomatoes are reduced down and have lost a lot of their moisture.
Toast the pine nuts:
- Place pine nuts in a small skillet. Cook over medium high heat just for a few minutes, until lightly toasted.
For the rest:
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta just until al dente. Remove with tongs and place in a large serving bowl (don’t drain- you want a little pasta water still on the pasta so it doesn’t stick).
- Add the slow roasted tomatoes, the toasted pine nuts, the fresh tomatoes, the mozzarella, 4 tablespoons olive oil and the basil leaves. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!